Skip to content

Dec 20, Antenna Problem Solved

December 28, 2016

Finally weather dry enough and not too cold to work outside so I got up on the roof for a closer look at the pesky wire antenna with unacceptably high SWR.  I noticed that condition when my Kenwood HF refused to tune up on 80m altho it was tuning on 40m.  So I loosened the center halyard to drop the balun within reach and immediately spotted the problem.  The electrical connection on the shorter leg of the OCF Dipole had snapped off (see picture) so no wonder I had lousy SWR.  My junk box contained the proper lug connector and easily crimped it in place and rehoisted the dipole.  New SWR’s are as low as 1.1 on 17m up to 2.6 on 15m and 3.5 on 30m.  The biggest improvement was on 80m; it is now 1.9.  The Kenwood TS-590 does manage to tune up on 30m.  Next project: test that the old Yeasu FT-900 works well enough to sell it with a clear conscience.

balun-with-snapped-off-connector

Advertisements

From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: